Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Standing By My Boys

Well, the Rockies lost tonight, 4-2 to the Pirates, after LaTroy Hawkins coughed up the game-tying homer in the eighth and then usual suspect Brian Fuentes blew it in the top of the eleventh. It's become pretty obvious to me that this isn't their year; that they have made improvements in some phases and are standing still (or going backwards) in others. And don't get me wrong, it's not as if I am all right with this. I hate losing and can't stand the pain of watching something that I give so much to give me nothing in return. But as long as our bullpen remains a sieve, Hurdle misuses it, our offense can't collect hits against bad pitchers, and Garrett Atkins can't play defense, we aren't going to make a serious push for the wild card, let alone the division -- it's as simple as that. And as odd as it sounds, I've finally come to terms with that. The Rockies have given me a very, very magical summer in which my passion for baseball has escalated to unhealthy heights (yeah, believe it or not, I wasn't always this much of a fanatic). And for that, I'm grateful.

I can't always support what the organization does. The management on a number of levels drives me insane. I feel absolutely wretched watching the team fail in important situations. So.... why do I stick with them? Because they are my boys forever and that is what being a sports fan is about. I will never abandon them. And for the record, 2008 is shaping up as pretty exciting.

Thanks guys. Now win at least two from the Bucs, just to salvage your dignity.

No comments: